Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My 15 yr old shiatsu is unable to walk. If she has had a stroke

Customer Question

My 15 yr old shiatsu is unable to walk. If she has had a stroke will her mobility ever come back? Should I have her put to sleep?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rosie_MRCVS replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm Rosie one of the vets and I'd like to try and help you. I'm sorry that this has happened. I have a couple of questions if that's ok. - when did this happen?- can she move anything at all - is it affecting both front and back legs, or just the back?- can she move at all or is she completely paralysed?- is she trying to get up?- can she feel her feet or her toes when you squeeze them?- is she on any medication?- when was she last checked out by your vet? Sorry for the number of questions - the extra information will really help. Thank you, Rosie.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2days ago she had trouble walking and favored her left front leg. Yesterday she walked to the water bowl and piddle pad with no trouble. Today she can't walk even if I support her. I am disabled myself and find it difficult to manage picking her up. I feel I will need to euthanize her if this continues.
I'm sorry but I do not have the facility for a live phone call. I will opt out so another expert can help you. In all honesty from what you are saying I strongly recommend you get her an appointment with your regular vet. Rosie.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My animal is a dog! I will Handel the problem locally.