Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Good morning. My cat, male neutered aged 14 years and 10 months,

Customer Question

Good morning. My cat, male neutered aged 14 years and 10 months, was diagnosed two months ago with hyperthyroidism. My vet prescribed Vidalta 15mg once a day. We have now moved to Spain and Vidalta, which I understand is slow releasing, is not available here. I have bought Neo-tomizol, carbimazol tablets here in Spain that are only only 5mg. My question is: Should I give my cat 5mg tablets 3 times a day or, would it be safe to give him 3 tablets all at the same time just once a day. I ask because I do not know if the Neo-tomizol is slow releasing like Vidalta? Please advise? Many thanks. Regards Sue.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, Sue. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Neo-tomizol is not a slow releasing version of carbimazole. Therefore, when dosed, it is given as 5 milligrams every 8 hours in cats. We would not want to give all three tablets at once, since this would potentially increase the risk of overdose at the point of administration. And of course, as we would with any thyroid medication change, it would be advisable to have Kevin's levels checked in 2-3 weeks after this switch to ensure the dose is working well for him.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )