petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

We have 3 new kittens. One female and 2 males. They play awesome

Customer Question

We have 3 new kittens. One female and 2 males. They play awesome together and sleep together. The males go in the box all the time. But the female will only poop in the box. She is peeing on our carpet along baseboards everywhere. What's can we do? What is the problem?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Can I ask you how many litter boxes you have total?How old are the kittens?Do you have any other cats in the house?Does she seem to have any discomfort when she urinates?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 boxes but she uses the box the boys always use7 weeks old, barn catsNo we have never been pet owners at allNot that we no of.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Know of, sorry!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cats came from where my brother lives in Wyoming. She had them for 8 days before bringing them to us in Oklahoma. She said she had no problems with her at her house. So she has had the problem since being at our house .
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
The first thing I would do is to have her examined and have a urinalysis checked. The odds are that this is a behavior problem, but we need to rule out a medical problem in which case you will never get the behavior problem resolved. Once a medical condition is eliminated, or if she is found to be free of disease, then you can focus on getting her back to the litterbox. The goal is to make the litter boxes the most attractive place in the house and the other spots less attractive. The general rule of thumb is to have one more litter pan than you have cats. Since there are three cats, you should have at least 4 litter boxes in the house. You can have 2 of them side by side if need be. Some cats develop a preference of one for stool and one for urine. Maybe try one covered and one uncovered to find her preference. Clumping litters seem to be preferred by most cats because it is soft. It also allows you to keep it cleaner as there shouldn't be a wet bottom. You may need to experiment with different litters different types of boxes (short sided, tall sided, etc) You must scoop daily! Cat's are very texture specific so look at the places she is choosing to go. If it is a carpet, you may want to put a piece of scrap carpeting in a litter box for her and slowly add more litter as she starts to use it. Some cats, mine included, prefer to urinate in an empty litter pan with no litter at all. There is also a litter box additive called Cat Attract® which works very well. This brand of litter also makes a version specifically for kittens which helps a lot of kittens who are developing aversions to the box to get back to using it. PRECIOUS CAT LITTERS LINK You may have already tried these, but they are suggestions that have helped many of my clients.Litter pan hygiene is key. Next,you want to make the other spots unattractive or unavailable, confinement is one way. Maybe keep her from the places it is occurring if possible, especially when you are not home, unless that is where the litter pans are. Enzyme products are needed to break down the odor causing components of the urine.There are a few products that work very well to do that: Nature's Miracle® (link here), Anti-icky poo®(linkhere) or Zero odor® (link here) Deterrents are needed after that. Carpet runners (with plastic spikes) turned upside down work great for large areas. There are also "scat mats" which give off a small electrical charge. These are not harmful to her. Another option is an indoor invisible fence to keep her out of certain areas of the house.They are very effective. LINK HERE One thing I would suggest is a product called Feliway®. LINKHERE Feliway is a synthetic pheromone that mimics the natural chemicals that a cat secretes. It creates a comforting, reassuring feeling that has a calming effect. It has been shown to decrease urine marking and spraying within 30 days with a 95% success rate. It is also calming to cats in stressful situations such as transport, hospitalization, veterinarian visits, boarding,new environments, pets or people. Feliway® is a product that can be sprayed orused as a room diffuser. It can be purchased through veterinarians and pet stores. I would definitely put a few of these around the house. This is a hard subject to cover adequately in a few paragraphs. I am including a link that may give you a few more ideas. Work with your veterinarian who should have experience with this also as this is a very common problem, but can be solved in many cases especially since she is still a young cat. I am also including links to a website that offer suggestions to provide environmental enrichment for indoor cats. This has become a very important subject as we have now identified that many cat behavior and medical disorders stem from the fact that they are confined indoors and forced to share territory with other cats, which is not how cats naturally choose to live. This "stress" can lead to physical and behavioral problems. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100%satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.Dr ZFeline house soilingOSUIndoor Pet Initiative
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I appears that none of the links worked. Let me resend those.PRECIOUS CAT LITTERS LINK http://www.preciouscat.com/products/Nature's Miracle® (link here), Anti-icky poo®(linkhere) or Zero odor® (link here)Invisible fence LINK HEREFeliway LINK HEREFeline House SoilingOSU indoor pet initiative Hope that helps!