Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I have a newly adopted stray cat(Casey) whowas found in my

Customer Question

I have a newly adopted stray cat(Casey) whowas found in my back yard, and she and my other cat Oscar do not get along. Oscar roars at her, and Casey meows a lot, which I'm sure annoys him. What can I do to get them to become amicable, and is this going to happen in this lifetime???? I am desperate. Thanks for our help which I so appreciate.
Philly
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.
It can take some time for them to get along. The best way to start is to purchase a Feliway diffuser:
http://www.amazon.com/Comfort-Zone-100512641-Feliway-Diffuser/dp/B00I9SI40S
This emits a pheromone that calms and soothes cats, and that can help them get along. Then make sure that they have separate food and water bowls and that they have separate areas to perch and hide. Do not try to force them to be around each other, and make sure that they can each get to their food and water without having to encounter each other. Give it time, and this should subside over time. The feliway should help a lot.
I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Ann M.
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
HI, I messaged your Expert and let her know your request for a telephone call. Thank you for your patience as she is not on line at this time, but will view my message and respond to you when she comes back online.
Camille - Mod
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want a reply by telephone PLEASE!! Thank you
Philly Edgar
HI, Your Expert has opted out and is no longer available for this question. I will open it to other Experts for you. Thank you for your continued patience.
Camille - Moderator
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I have advanced training in feline behavior and must tell you that you have quite a challenge ahead of you in getting these two cats to get along. Cats are asocial (not anti-social) as a species and so it's against their nature to accept another cat in their territory. The fact that the new cat was a stray and thus likely to be even more territorial than a domestic house cat will make your chore that much more difficult.
The determined owner might try re-introducing a new cat by enlisting the services of another person. Each of you need to have good control over each cat by means of a leash and the cats are then fed and played with in the same room. If they remain calm, they're then brought closer together and once again played with and fed together. The goal is to have them associate pleasant events with each other and learn that neither is a threat to each other. This is not going to work overnight. You might be looking at months of reconditioning and, in fact, there's no guarantee that two cats will ever accept each other. In that case, owners may designate parts of the house that each cat can access but never commingle. Alternatively, one cat becomes an outdoor cat. You also have the option of having a specialist veterinary behaviorist come to your home and observe the dynamics of these cats and then provide you with a treatment plan which is altered over time as necessary. Please see here: www.dacvb.com
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. I regret that I'm not allowed to correspond with customers outside of this venue.