petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

Eye draining and matting eye lid shut

Customer Question

eye draining and matting eye lid shut
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance.
........
Can you tell me how long the eyes have been like this?
.....
What color is the drainage?
....
Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About a week. And milky color
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply.
......
Irritation or allergic conjunctivitis is one possible cause, but there are other things that can eyes to drain that way including anterior uveitis (inflammation of the eyeball itself), dry eye, scratches or even glaucoma. None of these conditions can be identified by visual evaluation alone and further testing is often needed to differentiate.
......
It is best to keep any discharge from building up around his eyes by wiping gently with a warm water cloth as you have been. You can try flushing his eyes with eyewash or saline solution (like contact wearers use), but I would avoid the Visine. He may also get some relief from an artificial tear type solution applied as frequently as needed to keep the eyes lubricated. The product called Genteal® is available over the counter (OTC) as a solution or a gel. One other OTC product that may provide relief is an antihistamine drop called Zaditor® (generic name Ketotifen). It is used to relieve the itching of allergic conjunctivitis.
.......
If you are not seeing improvement or relief, I would have him examined by your veterinarian to make sure that there is nothing else going on as mentioned above. Eye problems can progress quickly so I wouldn't wait to long to seek help if it continues. I hope that helps.
.......
If her eyes do not improve or she starts to develop any yellow of green discharge, they could be getting a secondary bacterial infection in which case she should be seen by a veterinarian so that the appropriate medicine can be prescribed.
......
I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.
Dr Z
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hi Fred,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Z.