Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Have a male kitten about 11 weeks old,,he was outside and

Customer Question

Hi have a male kitten about 11 weeks old,,he was outside and he came in lipping on his left foot,, he wont walk on it holds it up when he walks wont put any pressue on it cries a lot so I know it hurts him
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Is this his left front or back leg?
If you examine the leg and between his toes, are there any wounds, sores, bruises, or bald areas?
Are swelling, instability of the bones, or bony crunching?
Will he allow you to flex and extend all the joints in this leg?
Did your wife seem him fall or hear any fighting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His back leg no visible cuts as far as swelling I cant see any I havent flexed his leg he fightsus when I pick him up he is with his mom so she watches him
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Now as I am sure you can appreciate, lameness in the cat can be caused by a range of issues. This is because we can have damage to the bone, nerves, muscles, tendons, and soft tissues. Now while it is not nice to hear that he is so sore, I am glad to hear that he can lift, weight bear a wee bit, and move the leg voluntarily. This makes issues like spine/nerve damage and hip dislocation less likely.
Now if he will not let you have a full examination due to pain, then we need to tread with care. We don't want him being this sore unchecked. Because while muscle injury (ie muscle strains, sprains, bruising, tendon damage or rupture) would high on our list, we cannot rule out a fracture here. And they can be quite obvious and cause kittens to barely be able to bear weight, but can be more subtle in some cases too (ie hairline fractures or fractures of the fibula). And I have to say that the left of discomfort you are reporting is ringing alarm bells for me regarding a possible break.
In this situation, if he is this sore, it would be a good idea to have your vet have a feel of this leg at this point. It is not an emergency, but the sooner we can get him on kitty safe pain relief (as human ones are toxic for cats), the sooner we can get him feeling better. And if during the vet's exam, they are suspicious of fracture, then an xray should be considered to let you see what has happened.
Now hopefully a fracture won't be present, as these can require casts or surgery to repair. Of course, if this is ruled out, then he may just need strict rest (in a room with no surfaces to jump on), warm compresses, and feline safe anti-inflammatory medication (ie metacam) to address any muscle strain or sprain.
So, if you can, do consider having a gentle feel of the whole leg and flex/extend the joints. If there are any areas of severe discomfort or that you are uncertain of, then consider following up with his vet. But in the meantime, especially if your vet isn't open just now I would advise initiating strict rest (indoors, no jumping at all, no stairs, etc) to limit further damage and aggravation of the injury. As well, if Rusty is amenable to it, warm compresses can be used as well. But if he continues to be lame, then we do want to have his vet have a feel and to get him on some kitten safe pain relief to take away the soreness and discomfort that is causing this severe lameness.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )