Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

We have a kitten about three months old who has been quite

Customer Question

We have a kitten about three months old who has been quite lethargic this morning. She has been curled up in a ball since we saw her this morning. She was acting normal yesterday. She stays outside most of the day, and I read sometimes the symptoms could
be for urinary track blockage but since she stays outside we are not seen her urinate. She is inside currently and did eat a little but not much. We did find some soft, not runny but not hard/normal stool in the litter box which could be hers and it may have
had slight blood in it but not exactly positive as it was mild. Just wondering what a recommended course of action would be.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I don't think this is a urinary blockage. It sounds more like a fever causing the lethargy and reluctance to move around. Calicivirus is a common virus that will cause these signs. It can lead to joint pain, GI upset and upper respiratory signs. The fever can be up into the 105's, which leads to that lethargy you are seeing. The treatment is usually with antibiotics for any secondary infections and something to bring down the fever- Onsior or Metacam. I also like to get sub Q fluids into these cats, ie fluids under the skin, to help with their hydration and to help the temp come down faster. Most kittens bounce back within a day or two of starting meds. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks for the reply. Is that something we need to take her to the vet for then? We are trying a probiotic mixed with food a neighbor gave us, but she doesn't seem to interested in eating it.If we do need to take her is it an immediate thing or observe and go tomorrow?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Many will resolve on their own, but I would recommend a visit to the vet to help her get better more quickly.