Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

What if my cat is anorexic and constipated for 3 days?

Customer Question

My cat is constipated and weak since he's not eating for 3 days. After applying the enemas he goes straight to the litter box but he's not able to defecate. But I really have no idea for exactly how long he has been constipated since he uses our yard, now I can tell 3 to 4 days minimum because be brought him inside. I can feel his large intestine hard.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
If at least 3-4 days have passed and a 13 year old has remained anorexic and obstipated (severe constipation), he'll need to see his vet who is likely going to need to sedate him and manually extract the impacted feces in addition to performing a thorough warm water/detergent enema. These cats should also be administered IV fluids and antibiotics in order to avoid enterotoxemia - the translocation of colonic bacteria and toxins through the irritated colon walls.
Please have Prieto attended to by his vet at your earliest convenience and