Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic cats, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

I have an inbred guinea pig (dad also grandfather) that I got

Customer Question

I have an inbred guinea pig (dad also grandfather) that I got from a friend. He is 4 1/2 and was fine until about 3 months ago. He has a huge tumor that started in his testicle. It has stretched to such a point that it weighs more than he does. He still eats well and is a happy boy but has a horrible odor and I worry so about him. Am I premature in thinking maybe I should have him euthanized?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you. If he is a happy bow that is eating and not chewing on the tumor then it probably is too early to euthanize. Guinea pigs are extremely sensitive, anything at all that is slightly painful or full of infection will rapidly cause him to stop eating and become lethargic. If he is not lethargic and refusing to eat then likely he is not bothered at all by the testicle. I would not euthanize him until you see these symptoms. Don't forget it is also possible to have the tumor removed, but if you are not interested in this then certainly I don't think it's time to stop yet. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions. Dr. Dan