Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

The left side of my cat's face is swollen. Could he of been

Customer Question

the left side of my cat's face is swollen. Could he of been stung by a bee??
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Does the swelling go above the left eye, below or entire left side? 2- How long has this been going on? 3- Is he strictly outdoors? 4- How old is your cat? 5- Did the swelling come on quickly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is his cheek and jowl, Just happened he was fine yesterday. Yes while it is spring,summer, and fall. He is about 3 1/2 years old. Yes like I said he was fine.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
How much does he weigh?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 7-10 lbs
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, you are right, it is possible for the swelling you are seeing to be the result of a bee sting. But, another very common cause would be an abscess (infection); this is by far more common than a bee sting. For this reason, I would have him checked by family vet to rule out an abscess; he will need oral antibiotics if he does have an abscess. In the meantime, you can start him on Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 25mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy benadryl over the counter in any pharmacy. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His swelling went down but he is still not really eating. Tried to give him wet food, will lick the gravy but won't really eat. He is drinking water, grooming, and does purr. But mostly just wants to be held. Any thoughts on how I can stimulate his appetite??
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
I am glad to hear that your lad's swelling did settle, though if he isn't keen to eat then we'd be concerned that he still has some facial discomfort. If he won't eat wet food, even if you try watering down the pate style version to make a gruel, then I would suggest tempting him with a light diet. Examples would be boiled chicken, white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). These re all quite soft and often can lure them to eat for us. Otherwise, I would note that you can try him with a high nutrition diet like Hill's A/D or Royal Canin Recovery diet. Both are available OTC at your local vets. As well, since he is drinking, we can try cheating and using a liquid diet like Clinicare. This too is OTC at vets and some pet stores also carry this.
So, those would be our main options to get your lad eating better for us. Of course, if he continues to be fussy, then it'd be best to have him checked by his vet to pinpoint the root of his discomfort and get that addressed for him so he can get back to eating properly for you.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )