brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

We have a kitten that we took in (about 6 weeks old). He was

Customer Question

We have a kitten that we took in (about 6 weeks old). He was fine & then out of nowhere, he rolled on his back, & began spiraling around on the floor, with seizure-like symptoms. Afterwards, he can't stand, he leans to his left, and can't eat/drink without assistance. When you try to pick him up, his whole body goes to the left. For a couple of days, his left pupil was quite smaller than normal. This was Thursday evening.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I can help you with your question today. Have you had Marcel's ears checked?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you think?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Forgot to put phone number(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, I'm not set up for phone calls at this time. We can continue in this format, or I can opt out and allow another expert to jump in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why check the ears?
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
The signs that you describe are consistent with middle ear disease (as well as several other issues) - if he has a problem with a serious ear infection, this can affect the cranial nerves that control his sense of balance, causing the head tilt and inability to stand normally. The signs that you saw initially (appearing similar to a seizure) could have been his initial panic when the first bout of vertigo hit.
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
Other possible causes include true neurologic disease (seizure disorder,infectious disease including rabies, etc), or a nasopharyngeal polyp (benign growth that can be removed under anesthesia).
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
Do you see any obvious debris in his ears? Or see any scratching at his head?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could that make him not able to stand at all or able to even eat/drink without help because he is always leaning to the left. Even meow is different.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Along with a smaller pupil.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No debris or scratching. Just playing and then seizure like symptoms. It just came on suddenly.
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
Yes. If you have ever experienced vertigo, you would understand! This is severe dizzyness which can even cause inappetence due to nausea. The smaller pupil can also be caused by middle ear infection, as there are multiple nerves that pass in this area (Horners is caused when the sympathetic nerves are affected, vestibular disease/vertigo from cranial nerve 8).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He seems to be hungry and likes to eat when I feed him. He just can't feed/drink himself. Or hold himself up
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
Good. Nausea is a difficult battle to fight, particularly in cats. There are too many variables at this point to know exactly what the underlying cause is, and how we need to treat him. I highly recommend having him seen by your local vet. I would start with a physical, paying particular attention to his ears, and run some blood work. Depending on what we find, we may have a diagnosis, or they may consider a referral to a neurologist for him. Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.