Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Two of my cats got into watershed wellness chlorella green

Customer Question

Two of my cats got into watershed wellness chlorella green pills. One coughed his up and ate his dinner and appears to be fine.
My other male cat did not eat. Should I watch him in the morning and take him to the vet if he does not eat
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Now chlorella is not toxic to cats and is actually an ingredient in some feline supplements. Of course, if they did take in quite a bit, then they likely have given themselves some GI upset. Therefore, you are fine to monitor and can also use some supportive care for the next 24 hours to see if you can settle their upset stomachs.
To do so, after resting their stomachs for a few hours, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). This can be fed as small, frequent meals and should just keep any risk of stomach upset at a minimum.
Further to this, we can also cover her with an antacid to keep her stomach as settled as possible. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the ones I tend to use are:
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx#.VGJLgsn9XPg)
* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet#.VE4NVBYYBaQ)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx)
These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if your wee ones have a pre-existing condition or are on any medications you haven't mentioned.
Overall, while cats usually know better the to see tablets, you kitties did choose something non-harmful here. So, we'd just need to monitor and offer some supportive care to settle their stomachs and get them back to eating for you.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.