Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Have a 2 year old male neutered cat with a half dollar sized

Customer Question

have a 2 year old male neutered cat with a half dollar sized circular wound on the side of his neck which seems to itch considerably. have tried neosporin ointment, Vetericyn and Fura Zone ointment, all to no avail. it just doesn't seem to heal. no puss or swelling is observed but he keeps digging at it with his hind foot. any suggestions?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
forgot to mention that I also tried using tinactin ointment in case it was ringworm and that all the hair is gone over the half dollar sized area
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your cat's wound. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help. None of the ointments you have tried help with itching, so I might try using a cortisone containing ointment like Cortaid or Cortizone 10, along with and antibiotic ointment like Neosporin. If it still won't heal, I would do a gentle scraping of the wound, to get some cells to look at under a microscope for parasites, bacteria, abnormal cells, etc. Knowing what this is, will tell us the best treatment. Let me know what other questions you have. Rebecca