Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian in Practice 19 Years
2263760

CAT 12YRS. NEVER BEEN OUTSIDE. CAN'T GET HIM OUT THE DOOR,

Customer Question

CAT 12YRS. NEVER BEEN OUTSIDE. CAN'T GET HIM OUT THE DOOR, TO TAKE HIM TO THE VET, OR HE'LL CLAW ME TO PIECES. OBVIOUSLY NOT FEELING WELL. WON'T EAT. DRINKS SOME WATER, BUT LEAVES BLACK SPECKS BEHIND, IN THE WATER DISHES.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. Will he let you comb his hair? I know he does not go outside but do you use anything for flea control? Could you have a vet who makes house calls come to the house?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I CAN PET HIM, & BRUSH HIM. HE HASN'T EVER HAD FLEAS. I DO WANT TO CALL THE VET, BUT IT'S THE WEEKEND.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you. Try to brush down his back about 10 times. If you see any black specs put those on a wet paper towel and see if the black specs turn reddish-brown.When did he last eat?Will he eat a treat?Is he vomiting?Are you trying to get him in a cat carrier?Do you want to take him to the emergency clinic?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ATE 2 DAYS AGO. WON'T EAT TREATS. HE IS VOMITING.WON'T LET ME GET HIM INTO THE CARRIER. LIKE TO TAKE HIM TO THE VET. WORKING TILL 1:00 A.M. TONIGHT.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Ok, try grabbing him by the scruff of his neck. The way a mommy cat carries her kittens.Then put him in a pillow case.Put the pillow case in the carrier.Or, unscrew the top of the carrier. Put the cat in the bottom of the carrier. Then put the top of carrier back on and gate back on the front.Buy some strong work gloves at Home Depot or Lowes.You can also try a pinch of cat nip.If he is so violent that none of these methods work then he is probably not gravely ill. If he was, he would not be able to fight back with all his might. If this is the case, then you can call a mobile vet in the morning.How does that sound?
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Hi Paul,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby