Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My cat stopped eating, is throwing up clear/yellowish liquid

Customer Question

My cat stopped eating, is throwing up clear/yellowish liquid and looks to have small amount of bloody anal leakage. I was concerned that she possibly ate some of the mound of Hershey kisses that our dog got into (chocolate and tinfoil) as he was sick for a few days, but hers started a couple of days later and her symptoms are a lot worse. I plan to take her to the vet in the morning if she doesn't eat something tonight.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Is she lethargic? 2- How long has it been since the last time she vomited? 3- Does she have diarrhea?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes slightly lethargic, laying in the same spot, moving slow when she does get up. She just threw up about 45 minutes ago. No diarrhea that I know of, just the leakage
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, the bloody leakage is a sign of inflammation in the colon (large intestines). The vomiting, anorexia and lethargy are all related to whatever is causing the bloody discharge. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes.To determine the exact underlying cause she will need a hands on examination with family veterinarian and xrays as initial screening test. In the meantime this is what you can do:1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. 3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. 4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter