Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

There, my cat is having difficulty urinating and I have

Customer Question

Hi there, my cat is having difficulty urinating and I have no vets open since its the 4th of july. Can you give me some advice to keep him comfortable until they open again tomorrow?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry to learn Yoda is having difficulty urinating. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- How long has this been going on? 2- Is he being vocal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1- We noticed it this afternoon, just a couple of hours ago.

2- He's not normally vocal cat, but he does yowl at me when I try to pick him up/

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, the symptoms that you describing in Yoda are consistent with a urinary blockage. In other words, there are crystals blocking the outflow of urine through the urethra (tube connecting bladder to penis). This is an emergency because it can lead to bladder rupture or kidney failure if not treated promptly. Unfortunately, there is not much I can recommend for you to try at home. You see, he needs to have a catheter passed through his penis in order for him to urinate; this is something that you will not be able to do at home. The best option is taking him to the nearest ER veterinarian in your area. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. To find an ER vet in your area follow the link below: http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&Itemid=193&nationid=1&searchword=&rpp=12&stateid=27&action=do_search Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately your directory is not producing any results and I have called many "emergency" clinics. I have no options at this point but to wait until tomorrow morning at 7 am. I do plan on taking him, I just need to know how to help him until then. I understand he needs a catheter and medical attention, but is there anything at all I can do to help him until then?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I will opt out and allow other experts to comment.