Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I found a kitten outside of my work on Wednesday morning.

Customer Question

Hi! I found a kitten outside of my work on Wednesday morning. VERY emaciated and dehydrated. I brought him to the vet on Thursday because he started having nose bleeds...vet said he has a very serious upper respiratory infection and pneumonia. He started seeming better a little yesterday after noon and this morning he seems to have gotten very lethargic again and doesn't seem to want to have his formula... I'm going out today to get a vaporizer....he's had some discharge from his nose that I've been cleaning...do you have ANY suggestions to save this poor baby??
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for rescuing this little kitten. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
How old do you think he is? Is he old enough to eat, if he were healthy, or should he still be with his mother, and needs a bottle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think he's about a month old or a little more... I don't think he needs to be bottle fed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This sickness came on in a matter of hours...he was fine (weak, naturally because he is so emaciated) but then he started getting a nose bleed and coughing...now he isn't coughing and he just has a mucus coming out of his nose...he is very lethargic now and doesn't want to eat or drunk by syringe like he was before.... now he has no interest in it...I keep trying to get fluids in him every hour and some formula every 2 hours or so....but now he fights it. He has peed a couple times
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
You are doing great to try getting Nutrical, Pedialyte and kitten formula into him. Keeping him hydrated is a very important part of nursing him through this infection.
One concern has to be that this little one could be infected with a bad virus, like feline leukemia. He can be tested for it, but you have to get a few drops of blood, which can be difficult in small sick kittens.
A nebulizer is a good idea. You also could put him in the bathroom after it gets hot and steamy after a shower.
You can get children's nose drops, called LIttle Noses, and put a small amount in his nostrils to moisturize the nasal lining and try to thin out the thick nasal secretions.
Keep him warm, keep syringing water and Pedialyte into him. You can get some strained meat flavor baby foods and add enough water to syringe that into him.
If you are going to save this little one, it will be with your good nursing care.
Let me know what else I can help with or answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any way that I can tell from home that he may have it? All vets are closed and I'm so desperate to save this sweet boy...
The nasal drops won't make him aspirate tho will they? I honestly didn't think he would make it this far...and by the grace of God he has..the vet we spoke to on Thursday said that he recommends giving no more than 2 teaspoons a day of the pedyalite...do you find that sufficient?? Aslo, getting the hudifier, how close should I put it to him?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
No, there is no way other than a blood test to tell if a kitten has feline leukemia. You can order a kit online to test saliva, but it is not as reliable as a blood test.
The nasal drops are safe, if you use saline drops like LIttle Noses, and only a tiny bit.
I would put him within a few feet of the humidifier.
How much does he weigh, do you know? I would want him to get about 10% of his body weight in food and liquids daily. If he weighs a pound, that would be about an ounce and a half, or about 3 tablespoons. If he is under a pound, then 2 tablespoons.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He weighs 1.4 lbs...very tiny... but one thing is, he hasn't seemed to have had a fever of any sort...is that a red flag? Or is it a good thing? We have also been keeping him on a heating bad under quite a few blankets for him to get some warmth.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, my internet connection was lost.
If he has no fever, is his temperature normal, or below normal?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?