Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My nieces cat is lethargic not eating and has a knot in is

Customer Question

my nieces cat is lethargic not eating and has a knot in is stomach. Making unusual crying moises. Think maybe it is a snake bite
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your niece's fellow Tigger is very lethargic, is crying, not eating and has a knot in his stomach.A snake bite will cause signs of extreme swelling and redness at the site of the bite and eventually can lead to a raw, open draining area. Tigger's symptoms don't sound like a snake bite to me. Please check his litter box and see if there is any evidence of him urinating today.I am most concerned that he has a urinary tract blockage. A male cat's urethra is quite small in diameter.If inflammation is present or crystals form it can easily become blocked.When that happens urine builds up in the bladder, places back pressure on the kidneys which affects their ability to function, waste products build up in the blood, and electrolyte levels become unbalanced causing the cat to vomit and become quite lethargic.If he is blocked this is a true medical emergency, he can die from the toxins and changes in electrolytes in his blood which can lead to fatal heart arrhythmias.He needs immediate veterinary care. Here is a link if you wish more information about lower urinary tract disease: http://pets.webmd.com/cats/feline-lower-urinary-tract-disease Can you palpate his belly?In the back part, near his rear legs/spine, is his bladder. If you can feel a balloon shaped structure, can be tangerine sized to softball size that is likely his full bladder. Some cats are so painful they won't even let you touch their belly.The other possibility is a gastrointestinal blockage from eating something he should not have. That too is an emergency situation as it can lead to a rupture of his intestinal tract and peritonitis.I highly recommend that Tigger see a veterinarian right away today.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Delena,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara