How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Cat Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 27384
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488
Type Your Cat Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I think my cat may have been poisoned. He is 5 years old very

Customer Question

I think my cat may have been poisoned. He is 5 years old very weak he can't gi poop but he has peed. He will eat but I have to feed him syringes of wet cat food gravy and water. He can stand for a short period of time.ehen he walks his back legs are very wobbly and he can only walk for about 6 feet before tiring. He is sleeping a lot .his breathing seems mostly normal. He has been doing this for 3 days. I want to know could he possibly survive if it's rat poisoning?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Is he strictly indoors? 2- Do you know the name of the poison? 3- Is he trying to defecate? 4- Any pre existing medical conditions? 5- Any vomiting? 6- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He does go outdoors. I don't if he has been poisoned, I am just assuming from his symptoms. He has not thrown up or pooped. He has urinated. No pre exhausting medical conditions. He was neurtard 4 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Can you look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale? 2- Can you take his rectal temperature?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am on my way to work I will finish this conversation when I get off. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I will opt out so that if you return another expert can help you. I may not be online when you come back. Sorry.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. To answer you directly, an anticoagulant rodenticide poisoning will usually become symptomatic as pale mucous membranes of the gums and tongue within a few days after ingestion of the rodenticide itself or, more likely, the rodent that was poisoned. His symptoms of weakness and sleeping a lot are consistent with such a poisoning but not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of poisoning. Whether he could survive such a poisoning, however, would be predicated upon the dose of the rodenticide he ingested. It would be prudent to have such a cat examined by his vet at your earliest convenience. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.