Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Yesterday, we got our little kitten named Leia around 9:30 pm. We brought her home to get

Customer Question

Yesterday, we got our little kitten named Leia around 9:30 pm. We brought her home to get her adjusted and she has eaten a good amount of kitten chow and has drank a good amount of water every time we put her near her food to make sure she is staying hydrated. In the 24 hours we have had her she has peed 3 times for us in her litter box. She is estimated to be 8 weeks old but we think she is more 7 weeks. She apparently just started eating dry food two days before we got here. She hasn't pooed at all since we have had here and hasn't pooed in a hidden spot we wouldn't have seen it. She does meow once or twice when she pees but my last cat did that and I wasn't to worried about that but wanted to let you know. She plays, jumps, eats, and drinks well so why no poo yet? We gave her half of a can of wet food she gobbled down before we went to bed to and nothing yet. We want to know our kitten is okay and are just overworried and loving pet parents. She is going to the vet Monday (4days)
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She hasn't gotten any of her shots or deworming medicine just yet because obviously she is young, and her pee looks normal too. She gets her first check up on Monday and I just want to make sure she is okay until then
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, how often do cats her age poop?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
OK, you're overworried and loving pet parents. What goes in must come out. She's acting like a perfectly normal kitty. It's not unusual for elimination patterns to be altered in new and stressful situations. Most kittens will initially defecate as often as they're fed but keep in mind if she just began eating solid food a couple of days ago, her colon may not be filling with enough feces to stimulate defecation yet. As the kitty matures, 1-2 movements daily is more the norm. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for you answer! We will just keep waiting and stop over worrying at this time! If she doesn't go within like 3 days then should we take her to a vet?
I don't believe that that's likely but her tummy will be checked on Monday as part of her physical exam. Don't restrict food or water at this time. The front end stimulates the hind end!Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great news, she went to the bathroom and she os going very well thank you
Yay! Isn't it nice that such small things can make us happy?
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for checking up. She was taken to the vet and she is perfectly healthy. She was deformed, given her distemper shot, and tested negative for feline aids. She is on the right track t get her rabies shot shortly and she is being a perfect little girl! Thank you for all you help!
Terrific update! Thank you.