Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My 13 week old kitten just bit my pencil cactus. There was

Customer Question

My 13 week old kitten just bit my pencil cactus. There was nothing consumed or pieces broken off that I can see...though there is one small puncture on the plant where sap is oozing. How dangerous is this, is there anything I should do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now the good news is that the Pencil Cactus is fairly mild in its toxicity. The main issues it can cause is irritation to the mouth and stomach. We do occasionally see vomiting, but that is uncommon and not likely with just a puncture of the plant. Therefore, all you need to do here is rinse your kitten's mouth out with cool water to remove any bitter sap and consider feeding your wee one or even offering a bit of milk to just dilute any of the sap that may be lingering in the mouth or stomach. But otherwise, we'd expect no harm here.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.