Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have three kittens i adopted from a local farm. they all seem to

Customer Question

hi i have three kittens i adopted from a local farm. they all seem to have the same eye condition. one has both eyes running with a yellowy discharge and his eyes get stuck together. the other two each have the same problem but with just one of their eyes. they are also sneezing but their noses seem fine. my poor little Zerif, the one with both eyes running is the most pitiful. i haven't the money for a vet. what can i do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Now this is a less then ideal situation. The reason is because that yellow discharge tells us that there is a bacterial infection present. And in kittens, this can be a primary bacterial issue (ie Chlamydia) or a secondary one (if there is also an infection with feline herpes virus).
In this case, you will be limited in what you can do at home. Still, there are some things that can potentially help. First, instead of flushing the eyes with warm water, use sterile saline. You can buy this OTC at the pharmacy as first aid eye wash or plain contact lens solution. This is better then the water since it will flush out but also lyse some of the bacteria present. Further to this, you can consider trying them with Terramycin eye drops from your local farm supply store.
Further to this, do make sure that they keep eating and drinking. If they go off food, you may need to warm it so they can smell it or syringe feed them. If they become congested, steam treatment (using a hot shower or humidifier) can help as well.
Finally, since we have obvious bacterial involvement, if you find that the Terramycin doesn't help or we need something stronger; then I do want to note that there is help for them. Since funds are a concern, f you have a VCA veterinary hospital near you, then you might consider taking advantage of their free first consult offer (http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer). It would be an economical opportunity to get your wee one seen and offset any treatment costs. As well, Banfield offers a similar offer as well (http://www.banfield.com/landing-pages/coupon). This way we can get them seen and get medication dispensed to clear this as quickly as possible.
If you don't have a Banfield or VCA near you, then consider checking out the Humane Society's database (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html) or ASPCA’s (https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills). Both have a lot of branches nationwide, along with ties to other assistance organizations, that can keep down costs and subsidize care and surely will be willing to help get these little ones well.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )