petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

Help me please, another on line clinic promised help only after

Customer Question

Help me please, another on line clinic promised help only after I sent them my Visa #. Katie is about 15 years old. she has been diagnosed with kidney failure, if firs stages. For two days she has not been able to walk straight and is unable to jump to her favorite places. Today is Canada day and her vet is not open often her head is tilted to one side, and she is not able to eat, although she has needed a lot of water the passed few days. I am not prepared to send money, becouse the last people I tryed to ge info from toke the money and did not answer me. DO YOU CARE? ***@******.***.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Katie today. I'm a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy to work with you.
......
When a pet experiences sudden loss of balance and ataxia (weak and uncoordinated walking), along with a head tilt, one of the first things to rule out is vestibular disease. The vestibular system is one that controls the sense of balance and is located in the brain. The vestibular nerve, which exits the brain travels through the inner ear, so an inner ear infection can be one cause of irritation to the nerve and can lead to vestibular symptoms. A brain lesion, like inflammation or even a tumor can also be a cause. There is a condition know as idiopathic vestibular disease in which all of the symptoms show up acutely, but there is no underlying pathology noted. The good news about the latter condition is that it tends to resolve on it's own in usually a week or so.
.....
If it is idiopathic vestibular disease that Katie is dealing with, the treatment is supportive, but for an older cat with early kidney disease, that may include some form of fluid therapy if she is not eating and drinking well and getting a little dehydrated.There are anti-motion sickness medications that can be prescribed that may offer some relief as well. I would definitely have her evaluated by your veterinarian for this when they are open again to make sure there is nothing else going on like an ear infection and so that the appropriate medications can be prescribed.
.....
In the meantime, make sure to offer supportive care by trying to administer food an water by bringing them to her an helping her. Also helping her to her litter box will be beneficial until she can get around better by herself.
.....
I am including a link with more information about this condition. (I know the link refers to the disease in dogs, but it really is the same disease we see in cats)
.......
I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Link here