Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 12 year old male orange tabby has lost weight over the past

Customer Question

My 12 year old male orange tabby has lost weight over the past year from 14+ lbs down to < 9.0 lbs. the vet ran a series of blood tests which were all normal except for over active (I think) thyroid.
We have been giving the cat Methimazole 5 mg daily for about a month, but visually no change in weight, or continued weight loss from a visual perspective. The cat seems fine otherwise. I would like to get a second opinion on other possible treatments if the remaining 10 dy supply of Methimazole is used up.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello, thanks for writing in. Is his appetite still increased? Have you had his thyroid levels rechecked since starting the medication?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information. If his appetite is no longer increased, the medication is most likely working. Usually after 4 weeks, we would retest the thyroid values to see if they are back in normal range. That is a true indicator if the treatment is working. Plus, it is important to recheck kidney enzymes to make sure he doesn't develop any problems there after starting treatment. With hyperthyroidism, the increase blood pressure can mask chronic kidney disease. Correcting it, may just cause the kidney function to decrease. If the levels aren't quit back to normal, then they may need to readjust the dosage some. Other treatment options are using compounded methimazole that you can apply to the skin to be absorb (absorption may not be as good as with the pills), radioactive iodine treatment to destroy the overactive thyroid tissue (requires special facility) or feeding an exclusive diet of Hill's Prescription Diet Y/D. It is iodine deficient and can be used as the sole treatment for hyperthyroidism in cats. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.