Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My 2-yr old male cat has had 2 urinary tract blockages in the

Customer Question

my 2-yr old male cat has had 2 urinary tract blockages in the last year. My (new) vet says to give him prescribed cat food for urinary tract health. He hates it. And it's full of stuff I thought you weren't supposed to feed cats ie. corn flour, gluten, byproducts, etc. The food I was giving him and my 2 other cats has none of those things. I'm confused. Can you help me understand why this prescribed cat food is supposed to be better?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response, but your requested expert isn't online which delayed your question coming up on the list for all to answer. I would like to help if you are still interested in an opinion.I understand that it is confusing reading labels and trying to figure out why a particular food is needed.The first thing to remember is that although the food that you were feeding him may be high quality and had a list of ingredients that looked good, it wasn't the right food for him because his body metabolized it such that he formed urinary crystals and had a urinary pH that led to him becoming blocked. That doesn't mean the food is bad necessarily, it just isn't the right one for him.The prescription foods that we recommend are low in the precursors that allow the type of urinary crystals he had to form and change his urine pH as well to make it such that those crystals won't easily form. Sometimes in order to achieve that balance the ingredients in the food must be manipulated, thus the list of ingredients that look different than what you are used to.There are several types of diets that can achieve that balance, and if he isn't fond of one brand perhaps another one will suit him.Purina Veterinary Diets, Hills Prescription foods, and Royal Canin all make prescription foods designed to help prevent crystals from forming and keep his urine pH at an appropriate level.I do recommend feeding canned food as well. The more dilute his urine is the better off he will be. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara