Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

There, We brought our female kitten in to get spayed.

Customer Question

Hi There,
We brought our female kitten in to get spayed. She is six months old. The vet said they could not find a uterus or ovaries during the operation. The made a larger incision and dug for the parts but could not find anything.
I have researched and have never heard of this. Is this a possible scenario?
thank you
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Thank you for your question. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I have spayed cats that had only one ovary, and once a cat with only one ovary and only half a uterus. It is possible for a cat to be born without any uterus or ovaries, but I have never seen or heard of it!
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
How old was she when you got her? Where did you get her? There are shelters that spay 8 week old kittens, so if you got her when she was not just a tiny kitten, she might have already been spayed. Usually you would see a scar, but the scar is very small when a kitten is spayed that young.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rebecca,We bought her from a breeder at 8 weeks old and she confirmed they did not give shots to the kittens or perform any operations. The veterinarian also confirmed there were no previous scars. They said they have done hundreds of surgeries and never saw this. I was wondering if the ovaries and uterus could be there still but we're tucked away somewhere. They said they made a large incision and even checked behind her kidneys. I just hope she does not go in heat then we have to try again. Poor Nika.
Tamara
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
From your description, it sounds like she was born spayed! If your vets did such a good search, they should have found the ovaries if they were there, especially since she is only 6 months old. There would not yet be a lot of intrabdominal fat in a 6 month old kitten.
Since she is an anomaly, I suppose it is possible a tiny bit of ovarian tissue is hidden somewhere. If she goes into heat, you will know it, but it sure sounds like your veterinarians did due diligence trying to spay her, and searching for any ovaries.
Let me know what other questions you may have.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?