Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

Yesterday I found a stray cat in my parking lot. He

Customer Question

Hello, yesterday I found a stray cat in my parking lot. He is obviously very battered, has no bottom teeth just a big one, he lost a claw, his ears are down, his face is very swollen and his head looks enormous compared to the rest of his body, he is socialized,
but really down or depressed. He is not neutered, I already made an appointment to take care of it. Immediately gave him one can of food and he also ate some dry food; water, Viyo, Viralys, Renal K, Ponazuril, and Lixotinic, I was very anxious almost desperate,
I saw his very bad condition right away. My main concern is why his head is so big, is this something that can be resolved or is it something really bad, I am planning to give him Panacur after he is done with the Ponazuril in 1 week. At the neutering appoinment,
he will be vaccinated. I have other 9 cats and one little dog, all of them indoors. He looks to be under a year old. Please help me to save this little angel.....
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. Thank you for giving King Tut the care that he deserves! It sounds like you are on the right track with the nutrition you're giving to him and getting that veterinary appointment set up! They will definitely check him over at that time and get him on his way to good health. Why is his head so big? Honestly, it may be more apparent as he hasn't had good nutrition and the rest of his body is "thin". On malnourished cats, I've seen a lot that just seem bigger in the head as the rest of the body has been worn down through poor nutrition. Could there be some swelling there due to an infection? I've seen a couple that have cellulitis / abscesses forming that make their face bigger - and if this is the case, antibiotics, wound care and time should make that better. I wouldn't feel that his big head is going to be an overall big health concern. Some can just be larger in the head than others too.

I would keep him separated from the other cats till he is checked over by your vet.