Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Have a 10 day old kitten found in watering can laying on a

Customer Question

have a 10 day old kitten found in watering can laying on a dead kitten. Maggots were eating away at the rectal area. we removed all maggots we could see with tweezers bath it in warm water and clean area with peroxide and put triple antibiotic cream.The hole was the size of a large pea.We have been cleaning the area for 5 days now the hole has slowly closed, but the kitten has not gone to the bathroom in 3 days. Giving KRM milk.Wondering if maggots damaged the inside of this little kitten.I was told to use a babies thermometer to see if it would open the area only got the tip in slight watery blood that's why I think it could be blocked from damage. Took it to the vet today. they didn't do anything different that we have been doing. We take it in turns 24/7 to feed him every 3-4- hrs and stimulate after feeding. Can urinate alright.They did give me antibiotic to give him once a day very little. Have you seen this before and if so do you think it has a chance of a normal life or should we put to sleep.Please help Kitten drinks well and doesn't cry.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Did the vet rule out any penetration into the body cavity via this maggot induced wound?

Has the kitten seemed bloated ? Any straining to pass feces?

Did they vet feel that the gut was very swollen such that stool wasn't going to pass?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on an alternative site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Could not get back earlier got your reply at 8am had to go to work. I did call the Vet to ask your questions she said could only penetrate tip of thermometer, same as we did. said the stomach was a little bloated, but babies do sometimes have parasites. Strain sometimes when stimulated but did nothing. I asked if I could give laxatone she said a little would be alright. I melted the laxatone in warm sterile water and gave it with a syringe. I had notice when I got home that a little stool was stuck to him under tail I cleaned him up. I think he is constipated so the laxatone should work hopefully by tomorrow. Eating well 3-4 ml every 4 hrs. 4oz weight. purrs a lot I really think he is fighting that's good. I think time will tell. It would be hard to take a photo he is black and the hole has closed up the hole was about 10mm. Are we giving him enough milk for his weight? Afraid to over feed and make him more bloated. Thanks for replying. Janice

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

No worries, my dear.

First in regards ***** ***** daily feed intake, at this weight we would be giving a daily total of 33ml over 9-12 feeds. That would translate to ~2.5-3.6ml at each feeding. So, it sounds like that is just fine here.

Now the key to this whole wound situation is what the maggots have penetrated and damaged. And if neither you nor the vet found that this wound penetrated into the body cavity or perforated the gut, then this is very positive. If either of those had been penetrated, then his prognosis would be quite poor (since opening the body cavity to the bacterial filled world often leads to severe fatal infection and perforating the gut can cause feces to leak into those tissues). So, I am cautiously optimistic for this little one. And I would suggest keeping him small doses of Laxatone in his milk to just keep things moving as they should (since he may be less then keen to pass stool with this sore backside) and prevent him having to strain to pass feces while this heals. As well, as soon as he is thought to be ~14 days, we'd want to think about worming him with Panacur since worms are a very common cause of bloating in kittens.

So, overall he sounds to be doing quite well despite the rough start. So, keep up the good work, keep that wound clean so it can heal well, and do try the Laxatone to get that gut moving properly and get feces passed for him.

All the best to your little one,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Kitten died today

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Janice,

I am very sorry to hear that he has passed away. Please know that you did give him a great chance after his very rough start and did all you could for him. At least, he didn't die in that watering can and knew that you loved him during his short wee life.

Please take care,
Dr. B.