Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat was diagnosed with broken pelvis at 4:30 AM this morning.

Customer Question

My cat was diagnosed with broken pelvis at 4:30 AM this morning. He can't move his back legs at all. A little feeling in his left foot, but nothing at all in the right. The doctor also used a Q-tip in his anus and he also felt nothing. He's concerned there may be nerve damage, but wants to give him a few days to see what he can or can't feel. They gave him steroidd and sent me home with nationals stories and pain medication. He's in a crate, hasnt moved, urinated, or had a bowl movement, nor has he eaten a single bite of food. He occasional growl meows in pain, and then just stares off into space. I'm heart broken and worried. My questions are, does he have a chance to heal, and should I be syringing water and food into his mouth? I'd there something I can do to help him urinate or make a vowel movement?
Thank you in advance for your help;0)
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear about what happened to Cujo. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
He may have nerve damage, which may or may not get better. I took a cat home with similar injuries many years ago. For weeks I had to manually empty her bladder, and give her enemas to pass stool, but she eventually recovered. She always had a limp, but she got around well.
So he does have a chance to heal, but if the nerves are permanently damaged, he may not.
My cat always ate, right from the start. That is what encouraged me to keep trying. If Cujo won't eat, that is discouraging. I would be trying to get food and water into him by syringe.
What pain medications is he on? Keeping him as comfortable as possible is a big part of his recovery.
Let me know what other questions you have.