Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

We recently acquired a 5 week old kitten (feral but tame) who

Customer Question

We recently acquired a 5 week old kitten (feral but tame) who had been nicked by a car and has a broken femur (close to the upper joint). He has been on "Crate Rest" for two weeks. Every time I get close to the crate he Hisses. We gently pick him up and take him out to the living room for bonding time. He does fine and at this point is learning to play and try exploring (ending up under the couch). Why does he hiss when I approach the crate? Does he consider it a "safe" place. We have two other adult rescues that are both fixed. They know he is here but have not really been introduced. The slower the better for them.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
You are absolutely right to persevere here. Lucky's behavior is just a defensive one due to feeling vulnerable. This is likely in part due to his leg compromise, his lack of a traditional pet kittenhood before now, and also because while in the crate he has no avenues of escape. Therefore, the default instinct behavior for a feral is to warn off anyone who may mean them harm.
So, do not take it personally since it is just a habit ingrained into him to keep him safe and just a way of his saying to anyone that approaches him "stay back" (even if he is really thinking "stay back because I don't want to be hurt"). And I would say that with bonding and his exploring those are positive signs that he doesn't really mean that hiss and that it should settle with time as he learns to trust.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )