Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat has been diagnosed with feline leukemia she has had

Customer Question

My cat has been diagnosed with feline leukemia she has had rapid wieght loss and been in the vets for 7 days whilst blood tests were taken . They say there is nothing they can do she is not producing red corpusles ? ( not sure on spelling ) She is lethargic but eating small amounts and a recurring sneeze but she used to purr all the time and now silent even whilst being gently cuddled ; does this mean she is in pain our vet says no but this not purring worries me that she is experiencing discomfort . Are there any treatments we can access from the US we live in Barbados West Indies so not an awful amount available
Any suggestions would be gratefully received .I really want to do the best i possibly can to help her . Thank you Pauline Saunders
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Oh, Pauline! I am so sorry to hear about Soux diagnosis. I'm a licensed veterinarian here in the US, and try to be of help to you and Soux.We really don't have any miracle cures for feline leukemia. Was Soux been just recently diagnosed with feline leukemia? If so has he had more than one test about 1 month or so apart to make sure that he just hasn't been recently infected and might revert to negative?Has your vet done a blood profile on him to evaluate his kidney function?