Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Can a cats collapsed lung be re inflated? Xray shows left

Customer Question

Can a cats collapsed lung be re inflated? Xray shows left lung collapsed and cat is hyper inflated. He is an older cat with asthma but never on asthma medication. He is on iv and perked up but has no appetite.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Do you have the x-rays that you could post here for me to look at? Do you know which lung lobe is collapsed?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
If this is asthma, then it's usually the right middle lung lobe. There is not anything we do to re-inflate that lobe. It's a small lobe and most cats do fine once they adjust to the acute collapse of it.
If it's a different lobe and there is some air that leaked out into the chest cavity, then we need to tap the chest. This would be the case with a "pneumothorax." In that case, we tap the chest to remove the air. This causes the lung lobe to be pulled back open, as there is a negative pressure in the chest that pulls the lung lobes out to the chest wall. That is how we re-inflate collapsed lungs.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr. Gary,
I'm sorry to say that we had to have our pet euthanized. His whole left lung had collapsed and he was not eating; our vet said there was nothing we could do to make him better.I appreciate that you took the time to give us your advise and to follow up with his condition.I just wish the outcome was much different.Warm regards,Debby
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
I'm so sorry to hear that. I know you did everything you could for him.