Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My cat has not been eating or drinking a week now,

Customer Question

My cat has not been eating or drinking for about a week now, he was seen by the vet after day two and blood work all came back okay. Said it could be just an inflamed stomach and gave some medicine to give 30 minutes before feeding. We have been soaking his food and using a syringe to feed him but not sure how long he can go like this. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. I'm very sorry to hear about this situation with your cat. How old is he? Has he been losing weight? Did your vet discuss x-rays or ultrasound evaluation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is 11, it doesn't seem like he has lost any weight and no she did not say anything about doing x-rays or ultrasound. She did listen to his stomach area though and gave him fluids under the skin. She said that if he started throwing up again after eating to get him back in but that has not happened yet but not sure if he is getting enough.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for getting back to me with that information. That is good that he's not vomiting anymore. How much food and water are you getting into him with the assisted feedings is going to be a challenge to calculate / know. That is good that he's not seeming like he's been losing weight. To be honest, if it has been returned to normal with eating / drinking well on his own after being at the vet's office there 5 days ago, I would recommend a recheck. They should re-evaluate him to see what is going on that isn't letting him get over this. A simple stomach upset shouldn't last this long. I would as a next step consider x-rays or ultrasound evaluation of his abdomen. Could he have pancreatitis? Could there be some other issue like a blockage? Could it be cancer? These are thoughts that are going through my mind. I would again get your vet back into the picture and let them see how he hasn't quiet responded to what has been done up to this point and make some adjustments. Some cats may need a more involved method of supplementation of food and water through the placement of a feeding tube if needed.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?