Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have been feeding a feral/lost cat a year. He is

Customer Question

I have been feeding a feral/lost cat for about a year. He is not very afraid of me and comes to within a few feet. I have tried trapping him several times but he refuses to enter the trap. Is there an oral sedative I could give him that would allow me enough time to just to place him in a carrier and release him inside the house? I have had feral cats as pets previously that were much more timid.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now we will be limited in what we can safely try for this kitty. That said, I would suggest that you could try OTC Dramamine (Dimenhydrinate) with this wee one. It is a medication used for motion sickness but can make them sleepy and sedated. It is one you could try mixing into the food if he isn't handleable. To read more about this and the dose, you can do so @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/dimenhydrinate-dramamine
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. -**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is how I am credited for helping you. ** Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )