Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

One of the cow cat ferals in my backyard is having hardship

Customer Question

One of the cow cat ferals in my backyard is having hardship with constipation. She is really in pain. Right now, Sunday pm, she is in hiding, getting away from me. I can not get her to a vet emergency as I am deeply in debt, I can only afford food for them. I opened a garlic capsule for each of the drinking bowls. I am not sure when she can get to the water. Is that good enough for the day? Is gas-x okay to give her? Though I am not sure if I will be able to do it to her. I have on hand gas-x as I also get constipated from time to time and it works good for me. Thanks
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Ribbon and her stool issues. I am happy to help you this evening. Gas-x will not necessarily help cats with constipation. Do not give garlic to cats. This is toxic and causes a change in their red blood cells that can be toxic. So if you put garlic capsules into their water please empty that out and rinse well because again garlic is toxic to cats. The best thing to help treat constipation in cats if you cannot get her to the vet is to use Miralax. The over the counter laxative that is made for humans works great in cats. You want to give 1/16 teaspoon (1 pinch) on moistened food or in the water twice daily to help soften stools. Feeding canned foods or moist foods help increase moisture int he intestinal tract which will soften the stools along with the miralax. Again do not use garlic capsules in cats. If the only product you have though is gas-x you can try that tonight until you can get Miralax. You will need to use a very small dose 1/10 of a human dose or if you have infant dose use 15 drops every 4 hours. But again a gentle laxative such as miralax can help more efficiently. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Whitehead