Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have a female cat and she has been fine until last Wednesday.

Customer Question

I took her to a vet on Friday as she cannot use her back legs, Blood test were done and it seems her kidneys may be shutting down. Cost of exam was $244. They suggested sending her to another vet who was open on the weekend and giving her IV, etc. This would be an astronomical cost and I cannot afford it.
CAN YOU RECOMMEND SOME HOME REMEDY THAT WOULD HELP HER. I AM TRYING TO HELP HER AT HOME.
PLEASE HELP ME.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and would like to help you and Gidget today. I'm so sorry to hear that Gidget's kidneys are in trouble and I know that this news is very upsetting.Of course, the best would be for us to determine what is exactly wrong with her kidneys, but this testing can be very expensive. It is not unusual for us to treat our older cats for chronic kidney failure when we don't really know the cause, and to treat with the owners doing most of the work.I'd like to go over this with you, but I need to be sure of one thing. . .can she not use her rear legs at all??? This is not usually due to kidney failure! -or- do you mean that she is weak and wobbly from being sick?
I'll also put us in for a phone conversation. You should receive the offer for a phone call in a little bit. In the meantime we can continue here.