Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

The last couple of months we are having a really bad issue

Customer Question

The last couple of months we are having a really bad issue of litter tracking. Our cat tracks it across the house and even into our bed. Today there is probably 1/2 tap of litter in our bed! We are using Arm & Hammer Clump and Seal since it came out a couple of months ago. When we noticed the tracking we tried switching to the lightweight version and that was worse. We bought a new, larger mat for in front of the litter box. Had her groomed. Nothing seems to be working. She is 12 years old and I am worried about randomly trying new litter since she's always had Arm & Hammer. Help!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
This can be a fairly irritating problem, and I have also been through this. I do want to ensure for the "mat" you purchased it has large enough holes for the litter to fall through to a supportive layer beneath that catches the litter. A mat, itself, will not help. We need something that allows the litter to fall through.
If you have this type of mat, then I must advocate a change in litter. Perhaps try something very different like Feline Pine or Yesterday's News which is not even like the other litter. Neither of these track much at all but the downside is it doesn't clump and needs to be changed. If she refuses then one that is similar but, in my experience, doesn't track as much is World's Best Cat Litter.
If she has very long hair and you have tried all of the above, then getting her groomed/clipped, especially her paws may be quite helpful.
Also consider the Clever Cat box - it's a lidded box with the entry hole in the lid, and ridges on the lid, so they can't zoom right out. They have to climb back up and on to the lid (link: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=clever+cat+box&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aclever+cat+box).
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.