Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

We have a 6 month old Bangalore cat not immunized lives indoors

Customer Question

We have a 6 month old Bangalore cat not immunized lives indoors but exposed to 2 outside cats has been lethargic irritable with a clear nasal discharge. My wife is in a panic thinking the cat has leukemia and will die.. Advice?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your cat. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
If he is not immunized, and has been exposed to outdoor cats, he more likely has gotten a upper respiratory infection, since he has a nasal discharge. How much contact does he have with the outdoor cats? Cats usually get feline leukemia from direct contact, grooming each other, or getting into a fight.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
If your wife is worried, it is easy to do a leukemia test, with a few drops of blood. If it is negative, he is not infected with the virus.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brad,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My wife was fearful about leukemia and as a doctor I usually try to alleviate that fear by telling my patients that it most likely is not the worst but a viral illness that will go away. I wouldn't start out with yes you could have AIDS and this is how you test for it. Since I tried to make her feel better when she read your response starting with yes your cat could have leukemia I immediately lost her and she just started crying. When in fact the cat just had a simple URI and is fine but that was a bad day made worse by this web site. Good idea though.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Brad,
I started out with your cat "more likely has a respiratory virus", which it sounds like is what he had.
I have re read my answer; I never said he "could have leukemia", just that it is easy to test for if you are worried. I am sorry if I was not clear, I was trying to say that a respiratory infection sounded more like what he has.