Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian in Practice 19 Years
2263760

I'm moving to Florida from New York, and will be making a 1200

Customer Question

I'm moving to Florida from New York, and will be making a*****with my Adult male 6 year old cat. He meows constantly and is anxious when he travels by car in a carrier. What is an effective remedy that I can try?
Thank You,
Joe G.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Hello Joe, this is Dr. Gabby. You could try benadryl, which is over the counter and mildly sedating, but chances are it will not be strong enough to achieve the desired effect. The dose for benadryl is 1 mg of benadryl, per each pound of cat, every 8-12 hours as needed. For example a 10 pound cat would take 10 mg of benadryl. There is really nothing effective over the counter.In traveling with cats I use Acepromazine or Diazepam. Both are safe and effective. You will have to get those from a vet though. Make sure you try a dose before moving day. Just in the rare case he has an adverse reaction, or becomes too sedate, and you need to take him too a vet. Since you are still home you know where all the vets are located.Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?