Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I have been feeding this wild cat that lives near my job.

Customer Question

I have been feeding this wild cat that lives near my job. Recently I noticed the top of her ears were crusty and bumpy. It took no time for the entire top of her ears to be covered. It also itches her something terrible. Is there anything I can do for her topically. I don't think she will let me put her in a carrier. The bumps are real hard but they also look weepy and it covers her entire outside ear. Please help me to help her. Thank-you Cindy
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I applaud your trying to help Kitty. You've described feline scabies (notoedric mange). The only topical of value you can purchase over the counter is the injectable 1% solution of ivermectin often labeled for large animals but used for dogs and cats. This injectable is OK to place on Kitty's skin at a dose of 0.1 mg/lb every 1-2 weeks for 3-4 treatments. A 10 lb cat, then, would receive 1 mg. There are 10 mg/ml in a 1% solution and so you would apply 0.1 ml of the solution each time. You'll need to purchase a 1 ml tuberculin syringe from the pet/feed store who sells you the ivermectin so you can measure out such a small amount. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.