Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Been introducing a new cat to my resident cat and it's gone

Customer Question

Been introducing a new cat to my resident cat and it's gone as far as I have a gate up and I put the balls on either side with no hissing brought her out the other day they actually touch noses and after that she began to start his scene again so she's doing this so am I doing it too soon she's been here almost 2 months my cats not aggressive it's the new cat
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and hope to help you and Angel and your other kitty today. You have been doing the correct procedures it seems, but one other thing to do with the gate still up is to rub all over each kitty with a separate towel and then rub the other kitty with the scent on the first kitty's towel. Hope that is clearer to you than I'm thinking.When you remove the gate, make sure to be present with a squirt bottle of water or a water pistol to break up any actual fights. Growling and hissing are OK, just not any actual fights. Cats need the freedom to establish their hierarchy. Also when you open the gate, still always feed the cats in separate rooms with the doors closed, and after 15 minutes open the doors and pick up the food. Feed again, 8-12 hours later. Eventually, you may be able to just leave the food out, but cats can feel threatened if they know another cat could get their food. Also, along these lines have 2-3 litter boxes in different places in your home that are easily accessible, but private. I'd do the towel rubbing twice daily for a few days before opening the gate again, and of course don't leave the cats out on their own until you are sure they won't hurt each other.