Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My little feral cat who lives with me has a wound on his nose

Customer Question

My little feral cat who lives with me has a wound on his nose that is getting bigger and bigger each time he rips off the scab which is about every two weeks. i'm in distress about this never ever going away and just getting worse and worse. Th wound is slightly smaller than my little fingernail .
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and will be happy to help you and Frankie today. Since Frankie has been removing the scab, this could be the explanation of it not healing. However, the problem could be an autoimmune disease like lupus or pemphigus, or could be secondary to a new bowl to which Frankie is allergic, or could be cancer. To diagnose an autoimmune problem or cancer we'd have to have a biopsy done of the area on his nose. To treat a possible allergic reaction to his bowl, (or food or drugs), we could try changing and eliminating some things, and to diagnose a non-healing because of continual excoriation, we have to stop Frankie's ability to scratch it off.I'd recommend keeping him from scratching the lesion with a regular e collar cut short. Noses are much easier to treat than back leg lesions, because the cone only has to keep his paw away from his nose. It still takes some getting used to, but is not so obnoxious for him! This plus the triple antibiotic treatment may just do the trick, and if this doesn't work, then you'll have to get a biopsy to diagnose and hopefully be able to treat the lesion.Also, have you changed bowls recently? Have you changed foods? Is Frankie on any medications?Dr. Barbara