Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

MY RESCUE CAT, ABOUT 7 YRS OLD, HAS DARK MATTER IN CORNERS

Customer Question

MY RESCUE CAT, ABOUT 7 YRS OLD, HAS DARK MATTER IN CORNERS OF EYES. I CAN SOMETIMES PICK A HARD BLACK THING OUT OF THE CORNER. OTHER TIMES THE EYE OOZES A PINKISH MATTER. IT SEEMS TO BOTHER HER AS SHE RUBS HER EYES ON MY CLOTHING WHILE HOLDING HER SERIOUS, OR SOMETHING CATS JUST HAVE?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.I'm sorry to hear that your kitty has dark, dried debris in the corner of her eye near her tear duct, and sometimes has a pink color to her tears.Normal tears in cats have reddish/black/brown pigments in them and the pigments seem to increase when the eyes are irritated so it sounds like, for whatever reason, her eyes are irritated and are producing more tears with increased amounts of pigment compared to the usual. Possibilities include a blocked tear ducts, an abnormality of her eyelids (entropian or a rolled in eyelid or ectropian which is a rolled out eyelid), distichiasis (abnormal eyelashes that point toward the eye rather then outward), an upper respiratory infection or allergic irritants. As you can see there are fairly innocent reasons for this that can be helped with using artificial tears or flushing out her tears ducts but some of these problems need surgical repair. If she is feeling fine otherwise there are a couple things that you can try.You can try using artificial tears every few hours and see if that helps.In case this is related to an upper respiratory infection you can give her an amino acid supplement called L-lysine at a dose of 500mg orally twice daily. If this infection is due to Herpes this amino acid interferes with virus replication and will shorten the infection's duration and severity. Good supplements to try are made by the Viralys brand which comes in a powder to add to the food or a tasty gel. If she isn't much better in a week or so, because this has been persistent, she should be looked at by her veterinarian to try and diagnose her particular problem. We do want to make sure she doesn't have an eyelid abnormality or abnormal lashes, or blocked tear ducts.Best of luck with your girl, please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jody,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara