Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have a 17 yr. old female cat, long hair, who's having constipation.

Customer Question

I have a 17 yr. old female cat, long hair, who's having constipation. Her anus is clear of hair and normal food intake is half a 5 oz. can of wet plus some dry for evening.....but I have stopped the dry now for several days and she's only getting the wet plus I do put water in her wet food. I've read White Petroleum jelly can be given, 1 teaspoon per day, or Mineral Oil. She's urinating fine but tries to defecate with no results......it's been a couple of days.
Any home remedies would be appreciated, thanks
Barbara
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I am sorry that Weezer is constipated.However if she is indeed constipated, having difficulty and straining to pass firm, dry, very small or large stools, I can give you some recommendations.If she is still eating and drinking normally and not vomiting there are a few things we can do to help her.One is to increase fiber by adding canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just pumpkin) to each meal. One tablespoon to each meal to 2 tablespoons to start.These are just guidelines, you can adjust the amount based on her ease passing stool as well as whether her stool is too soft.If you have Miralax you can use that instead of the pumpkin. Sprinkle 1/8 th of a teaspoon on her meals. If you use Miralax make sure to increase her fluid intake as it works by drawing fluids into the intestines and can lead to dehydration if her fluid intake isn't increased enough.Increasing the amount of fluids in her diet in general will help as well. You can add low salt chicken or beef broth to her food. The more fluids she takes in the better. I would recommend continuing to feed canned food only.I would recommend using Petra-malt, Laxatone, or Catlax. These are flavored, petroleum based lubricants that are easier to give then Vaseline and just as effective.If she is vomiting or no longer eating we are probably beyond home therapy. She needs to see her veterinarian. But you can use the above tips for preventative measures in the future. And if she seems to have chronic troubles with constipation pumpkin or Miralax can be used chronically if needed.You might also wish to add a probiotic to get her gut bacteria back to normal. Fortiflora or Benebac are two very good ones.Please let me know if you have any further questions.