Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

We have a kitten that is about 2 weeks old. I noticed

Customer Question

Hello. We have a kitten that is about 2 weeks old. I noticed about a week ago she would always fall over to her left side and then roll around quite clumsily to get back on her stomach. A couple of days ago I was shocked to feel, what seemed to me anyhow, a roundish bone. Compared to her left side, it seems to protrude a good inch further out! The odd thing is that she can move this leg. Although she can move it, by no means is she able to walk normally. There are 3 other kittens that are much more advanced then her in their walking ability. She struggles to walk forward, falls down to her left, contorts to get back on her stomach, and eventually gets to where she wants to go. It is breaking my heart and I will pay for any surgery or procedure that needs to be done to help this little one out. Please help me by telling me what you think it may be and what surgery/procedure options might be available with a specialist. Even if we have to wait till she's older. Thank you in advance.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue. Can you attach a photo of the leg?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try to. It might take about 15 minutes or so. Please continue your research as I try to get a photo that can adequately depict the problem. She's mostly black/gray hair and very furry so it might be hard to see. I will try. give me a moment. And thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It took a bit longer than expected. I'm going to try to download them now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to see them? It is the left side of his body. I think you can tell how 'off' it looks. The 2nd pic shows how much it protrudes out. I have a couple more I'm going to download.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the 3rd pic you can see that at times she can somewhat use the left leg.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there? Can you please let me know if you are still working on this? I haven't heard back from you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello??? I've been waiting 2 hours.
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry about that, it was over an hour before you were able to upload the photos, and at that point it was after 11 PM, and I had fallen asleep for the night. It's hard to tell much from the photos. I suspect that you are going to have to wait until the kitten gets a little older to be able to tell whether or not this kitten is going to need any sort of surgical procedure. I have seen cases like these where the kitten has a deformity, and sometimes they are able to get around on three legs without any problem as they age. Only time will tell. If this kitten is eating and drinking normally and is able to get around well enough, I would just give it time. There aren't many surgeons who would start to assess the need for surgery at this age. If the kitten stops eating, or can't stand at all, I would see a veterinarian. Please let me know if you have further questions.
I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.