Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Boarded, licensed, and accredited veterinarian. Interests: general medicine, ophthalmology (eyes).
76915428

My male cat has problems with snorting and breathing. He will

Customer Question

My male cat has problems with snorting and breathing. He will sit with his head tilted up to drain his sinuses. Humidity helps him breath better. He also will stop snorting and is quieter while sleeping. He also has ear infections/allergies that keep reoccuring. He is a rescue who has been in 4 other homes where the owners couldn't take the loud snorting and meowing anymore. I've recently read that Benadryl may help. Mary
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Vet_Dr.Drea replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mary! As a licensed veterinarian I am happy to assist you! I am sorry to hear that Panda has this problem, but I am confident he can be helped! Upper respiratory congestion in cats is quite common, and usually has a viral cause. However, allergies can certainly be an underlying cause as well. It can be difficult to tell the difference between the two, so a trip to his vet for an exam would be a great idea. For allergies, benadryl can help but my antihistamine (allergy medication) of choice for cats is actually Zyrtec (cetirizine- generic is fine). It is longer lasting and has action against a subclass of cells that are typically more active in cats with allergies. The dose of Zyrtec for a cat is 1/2 to 1 of a 5mg pill once per day. For viral infections the following helps: - Decreasing stress: make sure you have enough litter boxes, scratch posts, cat caves for him to escape to, and you can try feline calming sprays or diffusers that can be purchased at most pet stores- L-lysine: this is a supplement that can be added to their food and has natural anti-viral properties (can be purchased at pet stores) - Additional prescription medications from his vet such as antibiotics and/or antivirals may be necessary. If he seems to have difficulty breathing, if the discharge from his nose or mouth has a color (vs. clear), if he has a fever, or if he acts sick (poor appetite, lethargic, dull), I highly recommend he see a vet Ear infections in cats are typically due to ear mites, so if you have not tried treating for ear mites and he is not on a monthly preventative like Revolution that prevents ear mites, then I recommend treating for ear mites first. Then regular ear cleanings with a pet ear cleaner (can be purchase at pet stores) or a 50/50 solution of water and white vinegar will help keep the ears clean and keep infections away. I hope you find this information useful! Please feel free to respond with additional questions and please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied so I receive credit for my time. All the best to you and Panda! ~Dr. Drea