Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

16 year old Mancoon that was initially hospitalized since

Customer Question

16 year old Mancoon that was initially hospitalized since last Thursday. The initial complaint is that he lost the ability to move is back right hind leg. Previous medial history is that he does have hyperthyroidism and is on a special diet for the hyperthyroidism
causing him to lose weight. After several blood test's ultrasounds. The neurological doctor at first felt that he could have thrown a blood clot since cats that have hyperthyroidism and kidney disease ( yes we also found out that his kidney is in bad shape).
His back leg has improved a little and we picked him up from the emergency vet ( he had been there since Thursday night) but, since then he has had labored breathing and is not eating. He is only drinking liquids. He is moving around a little and is awake
and alert. My wife has an appointment today with his regular doctor and we are going to ask for a chest x-ray. More and more I'm reading online that his symptoms line up with Congested Heart Failure. They had him on IV's the entire time he was at the clinic.
Is there any medication that can be given to him to help him breath and or help him deal with CHF if that is the case?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your fellow threw a blood clot which affected his right back leg and now has labored breathing and isn't eating.Cats that are having difficulty breathing and exchanging rarely eat well. Cats that are experiencing labored breathing aren't exchanging oxygen, and that alone will greatly decrease their appetite.Cats that are hyperthyroid can develop secondary heart disease, and that may be the case with your fellow, so it would be a good idea to make sure his hyperthyroidism is well controlled. Treatment will depend upon the type of heart disease he has developed. But if he is accumulating fluid in his lungs (pulmonary edema) or around his lungs (pleural effusion) no matter what type of heart disease he has then we can use a diuretic like Lasix (furosemide) to remove fluid and let him breathe easier. ACE inhibitor drugs (angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors) are helpful to reduce blood pressure and workload for the heart and are often used in cats with heart disease.Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michelle,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jack. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara