Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I picked my cat up from the cattery on Monday and he hasn't

Customer Question

I picked my cat up from the cattery on Monday and he hasn't touched any of his food wet or dry, he's not a greedy cat but he did manage a few treats this morning am getting very concerned
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Has he had any vomiting, retching, lip licking, or gagging?
Any sneezing, coughing or congestion?
Is he drinking and can he keep water down?
Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?
If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Any diarrhea?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No he's drinking water no dirrhea but he is lucking his lips quite a lot . He has plenty of energy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His gums are pink and a little sticky not coughing or gagging or sneezing either
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now I am glad to see that he doesn't have any of those more worrying signs that I asked about. That said, if he is licking his lips as well as refusing food, this does raise concerns that he has some nausea. Commonly when cats are nauseous, they will go off food rather then risk vomiting. And considering his recent cattery visit, we'd be most suspicious of a possible bacterial or viral GI bug here.
Therefore, with this in mind and since he has had no vomiting, you can consider starting him on antacid therapy. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are Pepcid (http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx) or Zantac (http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx). This medication of course shouldn’t be given without consulting your vet if he does have any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications. Ideally, it should be given about 30 minutes before food to ease his upset stomach.
Once that is on board, you can then put him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be boiled chicken, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), boiled white fish, meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic powder in the ingredients) or there are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used here (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity.) Whichever you offer, do feed frequent small meals as this will reduce nausea due to over stretching the stomach. As long as he is responding, you can keep him on this as needed and then slowly wean him back over a few days
On top off all of this, you do need to keep an eye on his water intake and hydration. To check his hydration status to make sure he is not becoming dehydrated there are a few things we can test at home. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether the pet has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this here. (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=giTyuiF_slw). They use a big dog but it makes it easier to see and the principles are exactly the same If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then you do want to have him seen by your vet before this gets out of control.
Overall, based on his signs, it does sound like your lad is nauseous and this is triggering his lack of appetite. Therefore, we'd want to consider the above supportive care. If you do so, but he doesn't settle within the next 12-24 hours, then we'd want a check with his vet at that stage. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, and any lumps, bumps or things that should not be in his stomach. They will also be able to start him on injectable anti-nausea medication, appetite stimulants, +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach and get him back to eating properly.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.