Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian in Practice 19 Years
2263760

I have a 15 yr. old cat that does sleep a lot, which I'm sure

Customer Question

I have a 15 yr. old cat that does sleep a lot, which I'm sure is fairly normal for her age. This morning the regurgitated quite a lot of liquid that was very dark and looked almost black.
She is an indoor cat and only go out onto a screened porch.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. I would be happy to assist you with Kitty if you still want assistance.Has she had any new food or treats? Are there any plants on the porch she may have eaten?What do you currently feed her? Has she had blood work done recently?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No plants available, no new food or treats. She eats Friskies canned food (Turkey with Cheese and Gravy) and Friskies Dry Food (Gentile). No recent blood work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She does get tiny pieces of "people food"....cheese, chicken, fish (salmon & tilapia), shrimp, scallops. She's happy as long as she gets a tiny piece of what I am eating.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you,
The biggest concern would be an ulcer bleeding in her stomach. Partially digested blood, coming from the stomach, often appears dark or coffee colored.
Check her stool to make sure there are no traces of blood.
Check her gums to make sure they are a nice healthy pink. If they are pale, purple, or an abnormal color she needs to see the vet right away. Abnormal blood color can indicate internal bleeding or shock.
I would continue to monitor her and see if she vomits the dark colored fluid again. If she does, it would be time to see a vet and have blood work done. Kidney disease is common in older cats. If the kidneys are not working properly toxins build up in the blood and cause nausea and excess stomach acid. Kidney disease can be diagnosed with blood work and a urinalysis.
Pepcid AC is an over the counter human stomach acid reducer. It can be given to cats as well to reducer stomach acid and help settle the stomach. Cats take 1/4 of a 10 mg Pepcid ac tablet twice a day.
Does that help?
Do you have any additional questions?