Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

4 indoor kitties. 1 has been losing weight and lethargic the

Customer Question

4 indoor kitties. 1 has been losing weight and lethargic the last few days. Not greeting us at the door. I just tried to get him to eat tuna even but he wouldn't. He doesn't seem himself. Looks like he didn't want to walk down the stairs. Strictly all indoors.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I'm afraid that his weight loss, lethargy and inappetence are important symptoms but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder. If he has been symptomatic in this manner for more than 3 days, his vet will need to perform a thorough physical exam on him including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and possibly X-rays or ultrasound. I understand that you didn't come to this site to be told to bring your cat to the vet but it's the best advice I can give you at this time. I, too, would need to perform a physical exam on him including the testing I mentioned. Are his gums and tongue nicely pink - not whitish (anemia)? Is he breathing less than 40 breaths/minute at rest? Can you take his rectal temperature? It should be 100.5-102.5F.